There are innumerous questions and inhibitions in mind before taking Nyquil, like how long does it take for Nyquil to kick in, what are its side effects and warnings, how long does it last. Here we will try and cover all your doubts. Before consuming Nyquil, it is absolutely essential to learn about the drug. What are the actual ingredients used, within this medication?
What is Nyquil?
Before taking Consuming Nyquil it is absolutely necessary to learn about the composition of the medicine and how does it work. This medication actually includes two medications. It is also known as Chlorpheniramine and Dextromethorphan.
Half of the drug is an antihistamine and the other half is a cough suppressant. Nyquil is used to treat Pain, Cold, Cough, Flu, sneezing, sinus congestion, allergies, runny nose and respiratory problems.
As mentioned above it only takes 10 minutes for Nyquil to kick into your system. However, it takes 30 minutes for Nyquil to become fully functional in your body. If the brain is hyperactive while taking the medication, it may take any from 45 minutes to 60 minutes for the medication to start reacting.
Different forms of Nyquil and dosage:
Nyquil comes in liquid and gel capsules. If you are taking NyQuil LiquiCaps, you can take two LiquiCaps with water every six hours. If you are taking NyQuil Liquid, you can take 30 ml every six hours.
How long does Nyquil Stay in the System?
In order to understand how long Nyquil lasts, it is absolutely important to learn about the various ingredients in the drug. One of the ingredients found in Nyquil is Doxylamine, which is an antihistamine.
Its elimination half-life is approximately 10 hours in healthy adults, meaning that at 10 hours post-ingestion, 50% of the doxylamine within NyQuil will have been eliminated from systemic circulation.
However, it also depends on a wide variety of different factors, including your age, metabolism and medical conditions. It usually vanishes from a younger individual’s system much quicker and vice versa.
Does Nyquil Help you sleep?
Many people use Nyquil as sleeping aid which can be very harmful in the long run. It contains ingredients that can have negative long-term effects on your body. It is ok to take Nyquil for a few days at a time or just on an occasional basis.
If you take this medication too often, you will quickly build up a tolerance and possibly even become addicted. If you are suffering from Insomnia or depression it’s always advisable to take Expert’s opinion before starting any medication.
Nyquil contains Dextromethorphan (DXM), which is a cough suppressant. When used in high doses DXM can have the same effects as ketamine or PCP.
Side Effects of Nyquil:
Even though Nyquil is generally very safe, there are some rare side effects, which may be experienced. Below, you will be able to discover these side effects.
• Constipation or diarrhea
• Extreme drowsiness
• Excitability and anxiousness
• Anxiety and nervousness
• Upset stomach and vomiting
• Loss of appetite
These effects could be dangerous when driving a vehicle or operating machinery. Therefore, it is advisable to stay at home, after consuming Nyquil.
Dosage and proper way to take Nyquil:
• Take Nyquil with Water/ Milk post food
• If you are taking the chewable form of this medication, chew it thoroughly before swallowing.
• If you are using the liquid form of this medication, carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon
• If you are taking extended-release capsules, swallow them whole. Do not crush or chew extended-release capsules or tablets. Doing so can release the entire drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects.
• The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment. Never alter the dose without taking medical advice.
Warnings and precautions:
• The antihistamine ingredient in Nyquil can and will cause drowsiness. This can happen for both capsule and liquid forms of Nyquil. Always be cautious when you consume Nyquil.
• Before taking this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to any of its ingredients; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems.
• Always make sure you don’t mix two medicines without doctor’s prescription. .If you use two medications, which share the same active ingredients, you will experience intensified side effects and the dangers will be enhanced substantially. Mixing any two medications could very well result in negative side effects and further complications. Therefore, you should speak with a medical professional, before combining any two drugs.
• If you have any health issues like Asthma, Heat problems, Kidney or liver problems etc, then you must consult a doctor before taking the medicine
• Special precautions should be taken for Elder patients, children, pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers. Consumption of Nyquil should be done under expert supervision.
What should be done in case of overdose?
Overdose may lead to passing out, breathing issues, loss of coordination, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, seizures. In case of accidental or deliberate overdose, Call 911 or Poison center immediately.
Improper use of this medication (abuse) may result in serious harm (including brain damage, seizure, and death).
Although Nyquil is fairly safe, it has certain other side effects as well. So, it’s advisable to consume it when you are at home. Also, don’t forget to drink plenty of water and other fluids. Nyquil hangover can cause lethargy and decreased productivity.
Therefore, you should take your appropriately and avoid consumption on the days when you out.